- We were working with a national professional services consultancy across a number of development areas.
- Working alongside Marketing Director, we discussed the desire to help one member of the team improve their confidence and leadership skills as they stepped up into a more senior role, taking on a team management position for the first time.
What we did
- We worked with the director to determine the key challenges and example situations that would require the individual to demonstrate leadership. This allowed us to put the tutorials into a realistic business setting, using previously produced content and current scenarios as our base for applying the theory of communication and leadership skills.
- We then ran some 360 degree feedback, followed by a series of one-to-one, 90 minute tutorials:
- Introduction – understanding the basics, agreeing the areas for development
- Personal Brand – how to build online brand and increase company profile (resulting in a complete personal brand action plan)
- Leadership – Qualities and theory of persuasion, confidence and delegation
- Objectives – creating SMART targets which help build confidence and profile
- Time Management – Prioritising, targeted and agreed writing style
- The use of personalised examples and tasks provided a realistic base for the change in behaviour from “worker” to “leader”.
- The new team is now well established with a confident base of “go to” people for each task and department, with this individual as a recognised leader.
- The individual’s writing style and confidence have also improved, meaning the director can now confidently delegate projects (freeing up management time).